Effective July 1 – Senate Enrolled Act No. 269 has Updated the Regulation of Dams
Attention High Hazard Dam Owners: As of July 1, 2022, Senate Enrolled Act No. 269 is in effect. This act updates IC 14-27-7.5 regulation of Dams.
The Code requires High Hazard Dam Owners to prepare an Emergency Action Plan (EAP) to allow them to be prepared for any unsafe conditions that may occur at the Dam. The EAP should:
(1) Identify conditions that may endanger the dam.
(2) Identify remedial actions to prevent or minimize the downstream impacts of a dam failure.
(3) Contain contact information to notify local emergency personnel and provide effective communications of the dam’s condition.
(4) Contain a plan to notify local emergency personnel of an impending or actual failure of the dam.
(5) Contain a plan to notify local emergency personnel after an unusual or emergency event has ended.
The EAP is also required to be updated and reviewed. The Owner shall provide copies of the EAP to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and a local emergency management agency.
- For those High Hazard Dam Owners currently without an EAP, our Dams and Levee Team can assist you in the development of your individual plan.
- For those High Hazard Dam Owners who already have an EAP, this is a great opportunity to re-evaluate and update your plan, exercise the plan with a local emergency response authority, or even build upon the accuracy level of your plan with breach modeling simulations.
Let our team of experts guide you to being prepared for the never-intended and unplanned failure. Contact Dale Gick for more information.